About 100 days into Joe Biden's presidency, he addressed a joint session of Congress. In it, he said, "America is an idea — unique in the world. We are all created equal. It’s who we are. We cannot walk away from that principle." During Reagan's presidency, he said, "America is less a place than an idea."
If we want to understand what that idea is, we need to look at the founding of the country. At the statements we immortalized in our constitution that were beyond our then-present state of being. (And arguably still beyond our state of being.)
We hold these truths to be self-evident
All men are created equal
They are endowed with certain rights, including:
Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
But today, some think that “men” was gender-specific
That it only included those of white European ancestry
And that the rest were not endowed . . . period
That their origins are a cesspool (I cleaned up the language)
Therefore unworthy of equality or rights.
Outside the Hall where the Republican convention was going on, there was a button being sold that declared “I was once willing to give my life for what this country stood for. Now I’d give my life to protect my family from what this county has become.”
What happened to make them change their minds? I assume they finally realized that they didn’t really like what the country stood for. So the solution is insurrection and (un)civil war.
No comments:
Post a Comment